Having made and shaped the blade and tang of one knife i thought i would try and make a few more, as it would cost me the same in electricity to temper three as it would one.
So i made three to the same set up as before and lit up the wood burner in the van
|Wood burner heating up.|
|With the door shut there is a good draw making it hotter.|
|This was actually orange hot though it looks red here.|
|Oil waiting at my feet.|
|In goes one of the heated knives.|
|There was a lot more smoke than this at first, i had to shut the wood burner door before i took the picture.|
|Simple test was to scratch the hardened metal with the already hardened steel of the chisel, there were no scratch marks on the blades but a little on the tangs. Success.|
|Yes, it's a picture of the oven.|
|Owl and badger dread beads.|
|In they go.|
|Not the best background to show the yellow tint to the steel.|
Once they had cooled they were transfered to the shed where i cleaned them up with sand paper and wet and dry, this part is one of the more time consuming aspects of making knives. As a test i took the smaller two and a half inch blade and gave it an edge, i the tested it on hard wood, leather and whatever else came to hand. I was happily relieved to see that the blade kept it's edge after various tests, and i sat back and admired my work for a while.
Once i had stopped being a smug git i started too polish up the blades by working down through different grades of abrasive papers and clothes, i left the tangs clean and sanded waiting for the scales to be attached. As i write this up i am trying out different ideas and materials for the scales, so hopefully in the new year i will be posting a blog about it.
It's been fun so far.
Wing Commander Sir Nigel Tetlington-Smythe